1/2 Photos of Yogurt Cheese (Labneh)
This is an old-world recipe. It is really just drained, salted yoghurt, very easy to make and very easy to preserve. I guarantee that once you have made these and tasted how delicious they are, they will become a staple in your home.
My Private Note
- 1In a large bowl stir the salt into the yoghurt.
- 2Spoon the yoghurt in the center of a piece of doubled cheesecloth or soft cotton fabric (preferably undyed and immaculately clean).
- 3Pull corners up and tie tightly.
- 4Suspend from a stationary object over a bowl (to catch liquid).
- 5Let this hang overnight or about 12 hours.
- 6When well drained it will be the consistency of cottage cheese.
- 7Remove from the cloth.
- 8Store covered in the refrigerator until needed.
- 9You can mix in fresh or dried herbs, minced garlic, pepper flakes, anything you would use to make an herbed cheese.
- 10Or you could drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with fresh lemon juice and some cumin and dip pita crisps into it-- The sky's the limit really- so many uses!
- 11To make Yoghurt Cheese Balls (Labneh Makbus) (a great little appetizer!), drain the yoghurt for 10-12 hours longer.
- 12Take about one tablespoon at a time and roll it into smooth, round balls and place on a tray.
- 13Chill until firm.
- 14This will take several hours.
- 15After they are firm and slightly dried out, place in a sterile, air tight jar, cover with olive oil.
- 16Seal the jar and store at room temperature.
- 17The labneh will keep this way for several months but you will have eaten them all up long before that!
- 18Enjoy Labneh Makbus cut into halves, drizzled with olive oil and eaten with olives and fresh pita bread.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yogurt Cheese (Labneh)
Serving Size: 1 (12 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2325.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: