Prep 96 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a great cream cheese subsitute for cheesecake or spreads, and it's no-fat!
- Set a strainer lined with 2 layers of cheesecloth over a deep bowl.
- Make sure the strainer is suspended 2-3 inches off the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour in the yogurt and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Place in the fridge for 24 hours, up to 4 days, pouring off the whey as it accumulates.
- THE LONGER IT DRAINS THE THICKER IT WILL BE.
- This cheese will keep in the fridge up to 9 days from when the draining BEGAN.
- Use for cheesecakes, dips or sweet spreads, depending on what you add to it, like smashed strawberries for bagels, or smoked salmon.
Wonderful, of course! I use nonfat plain Dannon. Any cheap premixed brands will not drain correctly. I've heard that some people like to use Greek yogurt, but I think that's pretty thick anyhow. I use the yogurt cheese in many things including as a substitute for cream cheese or sour cream (with some added milk).