Prep 3 mins
Cook 2 mins
I make one of these shakes for breakfast almost every morning. Sometimes I make extra for a quick snack mid-morning too. The intent of this is something filling, but healthy. Sometimes I will sometimes mix in 1t of some kind of protein powder (e.g., whey powder) if I need the extra filling nature of protein. Be mindful of how much protein powder is added as it can make the shake very filling -- I used to to 1T but that was far too much. As a note, I used to mix with a hand blender wand. I found that did not give the smoothie the same fluffiness, but it was passable.
- 1⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 ounces plain yogurt
- 6 ounces yogurt (flavored to compliment the banana ( try blueberry or strawberry)
- 6 ounces milk
- 4 strawberries (or any other small amount of fruit to compliment the yogurt and banana (optional)
- Add those ingredients, in order, into a blender. The order prevents splashing and also helps things like the cinnamon to mix well.
- Start blending on slow until it is all mixed. Then blend on progressively higher speeds until you are blending on the fastest speed. Blend on high for about a minute. This aerates the smoothie and gives it a "fluffiness".
- Pour into glass and enjoy!
I used frozen bananas & added a little ice. I used Strawberry Yogurt & I did add the strawberries. This is a healthy way to start your day & my kids ate it up!
Surprisingly this is pretty good. I was a little concerned on what it would be like with the oatmeal. Sydney is right though -- it needs more of a chill. Next time I may make it and then chill it for a little while or add a few crushed ice cubes. I didn't add any strawberries, as the banana I used was huge. I also used fat free milk, and fat free yogurt to cut back on the calories, plus I added a packet of Splenda to add a bit of sweetness since I didn't put in the strawberry. Still - very good and filling! Made for I Recommend Tag Game.