Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This are a great quick bread that is good with breakfast or supper!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup yogurt (Add just enough water to make the yogurt able to pour)
- 1 teaspoon melted shortening, to brush tops before cooking
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 x 8 pan.
- Stir dry ingredients together.
- Cut in shortening (I use an electric beater and use short bursts on low for about a minute).
- Gently stir in yogurt mixture until sticky dough is formed (do not overwork dough).
- Place dough on floured surface.
- Dust top with flour and gently pat dough with hands until 1/2 in thick.
- Cut into 8-10 rounds.
- Place in pan.
- Brush with shortening.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Turn out of pan 5 minutes after removing from over.
- Cover with tea towel and serve.
wow...thanks a bundle for this recipe....its what ive been looking for....delicious
What I love about these is how easy they are to make. I used whole wheat flour and whole oat flour. I substituted coconut oil for the shortening. I did not add water to the yogurt but used the runniest part instead. A denser biscuit than white flour but healthier and very tasty with some jam :):)
Lovely biscuits. As there are only 2 of us, I cut this in half and made for our breakfast and it was great. Nice flavor, soft on the inside and rose into towering biscuits that we enjoyed with bacon and eggs. Went together fast with hardly any effort. I only added about a tablespoon of water to the yogurt but don't think I really needed that. Made for P-A-R-T-Y event 09