Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
It's nothing fancy, but it's a nice, filling soup with a pleasant tart taste to it. Don't leave the parsley out...it greatly improved the taste and appearance of this soup. From Moosewood.
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked barley
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- Bring the barley and water to a boil in a large pot. Simmer, covered, while proceeding with the rest of the recipe.
- Saute the onions in the butter until translucent.
- Add the carrots and cook, stirring frequently, until the carrots are tender.
- Add water as necessary if the vegetables start to stick.
- When the barley is tender, add the vegetables, mint, and seasonings to the pot.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add the yogurt and parsley.
- Carefully warm the soup on low, adding some stock if you want a thinner soup.