Recipe by cookingpompom
I regularly have yogurt which is just out of date. Rather than throw it out, I cook with it (it is a great alternative to sour cream in cakes too), these muffins are full of flavour and delicious. Use any vanilla or fruit flavoured yogurt and any type of berries, fresh or frozen (if frozen - do not thaw).
Top Review by lauralie41
Wonderful muffins that I will be making again! I used vanilla extract, Yoplait blueberry yogurt, and frozen blueberries. Filled the muffin pan and let sit for a bit since I did use frozen berries. Moist, great tasting, and easy to make! Made and reviewed for ZWT8 - 2012 The Fearless Red Dragons.
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup berries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 200oC and line 12 muffin tins with muffin cases.
- In a large bowl, eat the eggs until frothy.
- Gradually add the sugar while beating and slowly pour in the oil while still beating. Add the extract and beat to incorporate.
- Add in the yogurt and beat until smooth. (If your yogurt is overly sweet, you might like to reduce the sugar amount).
- Add in the flour and berries, carefully fold inches Don't over mix as the muffins won't rise very high and will be more stodgy than fluffy.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups with a large tablespoon.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 18-22 minutes.
- Don't eat until slightly cooled - the berries are hot!