1/3 Photos of Yogurt
8 hrs 10 mins
This recipe comes from my Vita-Mix cookbook. It has always worked well for me when making a low-fat yogurt for general cooking and baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1With an instant read thermometer, measure the temperature of the water. It should be at 115 degrees F.
- 2Place the water and dry milk in a blender container, turn on a run at a medium speed for 5 to 10 seconds; reduce the speed to lowest setting.
- 3Remove the lid plug and add the yogurt, run for 5 seconds to combine thoroughly, take care not to over-mix.
- 4Pour the mixture into 2 sterilized containers, cover with a clean cloth and place in oven with light on overnight; the mixture should maintain a temperature of 115 degrees in order to incubate properly.
- 5The next longer the yogurt incubates the tarter the flavor. Yogurt should be thick, about the consistency of heavy cream, if liquid or watery, incubate longer.
- 6Store the yogurt in refrigerator and it will continue to thicken as it cools.
- 7Serve plain, add honey or fresh fruit to sweeten. This yogurt is excellent for making yogurt cheese.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yogurt
Serving Size: 1 (1048 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.8
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 26.3 mg
- Sodium 670.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 61.3 g
- Protein 41.3 g