Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This delicious vegetarian recipe is a combo of various vegetables- a great recipe if your looking for vegetarian tasty food! This recipe is from the 'Thursday' magazine, dated Oct 24-30'2002. The name 'Yogiratna' basically refers to a Karnataka speciality( Karnataka is a state in South India) combining mixed vegetables in coconut milk.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
I made this for lunch this afternoon - it vanished in minutes! It goes great with white Basmati rice and a cucumber-tomato raita or even plain grated cucumber raita on the side.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into medium-sized cubes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh green peas
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and cut into medium-sized cubes
- 1⁄2 cup ash gourd, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into medium-sized cubes
- 1⁄4 cup cauliflower floret
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon ghee (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 green chilies, slit
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 -5 curry leaves
- 2 cups grated fresh coconut
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, to be ground into a coarse paste
- 1 inch ginger, to be ground into a coarse paste
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Firstly, add a cup of water to the grated coconut and grind it in a mixer.
- Pass it through a sieve.
- Squeeze out the pulp.
- Keep the coconut milk extract aside.
- Peel and cut the potatoes, carrot and cucumber.
- Keep aside.
- Grate the tomatoes, discard skin and keep aside.
- In a deep microwaveable dish, mix together the potatoes, carrot, cucumber, ashgourd, green peas, cauliflower, green chillies, ginger-corriander seeds paste, coconut milk and the grated tomatoes.
- Microwave on HIGH for 17 minutes.
- Stir once in between.
- Allow standing time of 2 minutes.
- Add salt.
- Mix well.
- Microwave on MEDIUM-HIGH (80%) for 2 minutes uncovered.
- Next, prepare a seasoning of cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves in a frying pan.
- Pour onto the vegetable combo.
- Mix well.
- Garnish with finely chopped corriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed rice, topped with ghee (optional) and accompanied by pickle.