Recipe by Mille®
A culinary creation inspired by Boo-Boo Bear and James Bond when they were on assignment together in Turkey.
Yogi Yogurtfinger Special Sauce
- 32 fluid ounces plain yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb spanish red onions or 1 lb white onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper, optional
- 2 lbs ground lean lamb fillets or 2 lbs lean beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated yellow onions or 1 1⁄2 cups spanish red onions
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- olive oil, for brushing
- 6 pita breads, warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- ---To make Yogi Yogurtfingers Special Sauce---.
- Line a large sieve with cheesecloth (muslin), place it over a bowl and spoon the yogurt into the sieve.
- Refrigerate for 4-6 hours to drain off the excess water.
- You should have 12-16 fluid ounces drained yogurt.
- Add the garlic, olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice to the drained yogurt.
- Stir well and fold in the mint.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Fire up your charcoal grill or preheat the oven broiler.
- ---To make the onion salad---.
- Cut onions in half and slice them thinly.
- Place the onion slices in a large sieve or colander, add the salt and toss well.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the onion slices with cool water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place in a bowl and add the parsley and lemon pepper, if using.
- Toss well and set aside.
- ---To make the meatballs---.
- In a bowl, combine the lamb or beef, grated onions, garlic, eggs, thyme, pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Mix with your hands until the mixture holds together well.
- Form into 12 ovals about 3 inches long and 1½ inches wide and thread them onto metal skewers.
- Brush the meat torpedoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place the skewers on an oiled grill rack or a broiler pan and grill or broil, turning to brown on all sides, until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- ---Putting It All Together---.
- Remove the skewers from the grill or broiler and slip the meatballs off the skewers.
- Cut the pita breads into halves and tuck a meat torpedo into the each half.
- Serve at once.
- Offer Yogi Yogurtfingers Special Sauce and onion salad at the table for guests to add to taste.