6 hrs 8 mins
A culinary creation inspired by Boo-Boo Bear and James Bond when they were on assignment together in Turkey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Yogi Yogurtfinger Special Sauce
- 32 fluid ounces plain yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb spanish red onions or 1 lb white onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper, optional
- 1---To make Yogi Yogurtfingers Special Sauce---.
- 2Line a large sieve with cheesecloth (muslin), place it over a bowl and spoon the yogurt into the sieve.
- 3Refrigerate for 4-6 hours to drain off the excess water.
- 4You should have 12-16 fluid ounces drained yogurt.
- 5Add the garlic, olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice to the drained yogurt.
- 6Stir well and fold in the mint.
- 7Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- 9Fire up your charcoal grill or preheat the oven broiler.
- 10---To make the onion salad---.
- 11Cut onions in half and slice them thinly.
- 12Place the onion slices in a large sieve or colander, add the salt and toss well.
- 13Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 14Rinse the onion slices with cool water and pat dry with paper towels.
- 15Place in a bowl and add the parsley and lemon pepper, if using.
- 16Toss well and set aside.
- 17---To make the meatballs---.
- 18In a bowl, combine the lamb or beef, grated onions, garlic, eggs, thyme, pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- 19Mix with your hands until the mixture holds together well.
- 20Form into 12 ovals about 3 inches long and 1½ inches wide and thread them onto metal skewers.
- 21Brush the meat torpedoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- 22Place the skewers on an oiled grill rack or a broiler pan and grill or broil, turning to brown on all sides, until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- 23---Putting It All Together---.
- 24Remove the skewers from the grill or broiler and slip the meatballs off the skewers.
- 25Cut the pita breads into halves and tuck a meat torpedo into the each half.
- 26Serve at once.
- 27Offer Yogi Yogurtfingers Special Sauce and onion salad at the table for guests to add to taste.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yogi Yogurtfinger's Grilled Meat Torpedoes
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 843.1
- Calories from Fat 418
- Total Fat 46.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 223.7 mg
- Sodium 1883.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 50.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: