Recipe by grandma2969
you might try different types of honey with this one..
Top Review by andrea pandrea
A very nice, and easy recipe. They turned out more cake-like though, even though i followed the instructions perfectly... was this supposed to happen? regardless, they were nice and flavourful but were not as hard and bar-ie as i had hoped. Thank you!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup honey, for glaze
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly butter a 9" square pan.set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light.
- Gradually beat in the 1/2 cup of honey in a thin, steady stream. Gradually add the egg.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture.Stir in the orange zest.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan, over low heat, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of honey until very runny.
- Lightly brush it over the top of the bars.
- Cool thoroughly before cutting into bars.