Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A good lunch box cake. I picked this cake recipe up many years ago at a school tuck shop meeting. Makes me think I am eating healthy because it has plain yoghurt in the recipe. *wink*
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 ounces finely chopped mixed peel (optional)
- icing sugar, for sprinkling on the cooked cake
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add lemon rind and egg yolks and beat well.
- Sift flour, fold in alternately with yoghurt, then add chopped mixed peel (optional).
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, then fold in lightly to the cake mix.
- Spoon into a greased 9" x 5" loaf tin.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
- When cold, sprinkle with sifted icing sugar.
- Note: This cake will sink a little in the middle.
This is like a light lemon pound cake. So easy to make. I used all lemon peel. It did sink a little in the middle, no problem. I made a lemon glaze for the top. VERY good! I will make this again, and I want to try it with orange flavor. Thanks Chrissy!
It came out of the oven about an hour ago, and already half of it is gone!! This cake is DELICIOUS!!! Lovely and moist and so easy to make. It will definitely be added to my regular baking in the future - THANKS!!!
I made this cake with gluten free flour Recipe #189120 and plain soy yogurt ( really hard to eat plain) It turned out great. I added 1 tsp guar gum to the flour. thanks