Recipe by Chrissyo
A good lunch box cake. I picked this cake recipe up many years ago at a school tuck shop meeting. Makes me think I am eating healthy because it has plain yoghurt in the recipe. *wink*
Top Review by MizzNezz
This is like a light lemon pound cake. So easy to make. I used all lemon peel. It did sink a little in the middle, no problem. I made a lemon glaze for the top. VERY good! I will make this again, and I want to try it with orange flavor. Thanks Chrissy!
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 ounces finely chopped mixed peel (optional)
- icing sugar, for sprinkling on the cooked cake
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add lemon rind and egg yolks and beat well.
- Sift flour, fold in alternately with yoghurt, then add chopped mixed peel (optional).
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, then fold in lightly to the cake mix.
- Spoon into a greased 9" x 5" loaf tin.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
- When cold, sprinkle with sifted icing sugar.
- Note: This cake will sink a little in the middle.