1 hr 15 mins
This recipe was originally posted to the Yahoo Israel-food list, as a result of a discussion about baking cakes with olive oil. I have posted it here with Yocheved's permission. According to Yocheved, this cake is full of rich, deeply chocolate flavor, and you'd never guess it's the olive oil that gives this cake such moistness and character. BTW, it's also dairy-free.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil, and
- flour, for the pan
- 1 1/4 ounces Dutch-processed cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 1/2 ounces flour (1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 1Position a rack in the middle of the oven.
- 2Heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 3Generously oil an 8 x 2 inch round cake pan (or an 8 1/2 inch springform pan) with olive oil and line the bottom of the pan with parchment or waxed paper.
- 4Oil the paper and dust it lightly with flour.
- 5In a small saucepan, boil about 1/2 cup of water.
- 6Meanwhile, sift the cocoa powder through a strainer over a small bowl.
- 7Stir 6 tablespoons of the boiling water into the cocoa until it's smooth and glossy (if the mixture is very thick, you can add as much as 2 tablespoons more boiling water).
- 8Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- 9Set aside to cool slightly.
- 10In another small bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- 11In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the eggs and yolk, olive oil, and sugar.
- 12Using the whisk attachment, beat on medium-high speed until thick, lemon colored, and creamy- about 2- 3 minutes- scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- 13Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the warm (not hot) cocoa mixture until it's well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl once.
- 14Gradually mix in the dry ingredients until just combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- 15Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake in the center of the oven until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it but with no wet batter, about 55-60 minutes.
- 16Put the pan on a rack and carefully run a paring knife around the inside edge to release the cake.
- 17Let cool for 10 minutes.
- 18Using a second rack to sandwich the cake pan, flip the pan over.
- 19Carefully lift the pan from the cake, gently peel off and dicard the paper liner, and let the cake cool completely.
- 20Before serving, dust the top of the cake with confectioner's sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yocheved's Gevaldig Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (48 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.5
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 51.4 mg
- Sodium 70.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 2.5 g