Chef #441346's Note:
The unique Ying Yang design is for presentation. Just before serving, combine both sides to mix shrimp and chicken in a pool of sweet tangy tomato sauce with creamy eggy goodness. Heaven on earth!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 3 eggs
- 12 jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- vegetable oil, for stir frying
- sugar, to taste
- 1Separate egg yolks and egg whites.
- 2Combine chicken with sugar, salt, corn starch, and vegetable oil. Set aside.
- 3Heat wok with 1 tablespoon oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- 4Add rice and break it apart with spatula as it is being re-heated from standing overnight.
- 5When it has heated through, add the egg yolk and mix in well until egg is cooked.
- 6Place rice on serving platter, preferably one with high sides to contain the rice and toppings when done.
- 7Heat 1/2 teaspoon of oil in wok. Stir fry peas for about 30 seconds, remove and set aside.
- 8Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in wok. Add shrimp and stir fry about 5 minutes, stirring constantly so the shrimp does not scorch.
- 9Pour in egg whites and sauce solution of water and corn starch, mix well.
- 10When it is cooked through, adjust taste with salt, then spoon over one side of the rice to create a Yin Yang symbol with a slight curve in the center of the rice. Rinse out wok and return to heat with 1 teaspoon oil sprinkled with a little salt.
- 11Add onions and cook for about 1 minute, add sliced chicken and stir well.
- 12When the chicken is about half cooked, add sliced tomatoes and continue stirring until chicken is done.
- 13Add ketchup and mix thoroughly. Adjust flavor with a little sugar as desired to balance out the tartness of the tomatoes.
- 14When done, spoon over the other half of the rice, filling in the curve of the other half.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ying Yang Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.5
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 166.3 mg
- Sodium 861.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 20.4 g