Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
The unique Ying Yang design is for presentation. Just before serving, combine both sides to mix shrimp and chicken in a pool of sweet tangy tomato sauce with creamy eggy goodness. Heaven on earth!
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 3 eggs
- 12 jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 small onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- vegetable oil, for stir frying
- sugar, to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1 cup water
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites.
- Combine chicken with sugar, salt, corn starch, and vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Heat wok with 1 tablespoon oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Add rice and break it apart with spatula as it is being re-heated from standing overnight.
- When it has heated through, add the egg yolk and mix in well until egg is cooked.
- Place rice on serving platter, preferably one with high sides to contain the rice and toppings when done.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon of oil in wok. Stir fry peas for about 30 seconds, remove and set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in wok. Add shrimp and stir fry about 5 minutes, stirring constantly so the shrimp does not scorch.
- Pour in egg whites and sauce solution of water and corn starch, mix well.
- When it is cooked through, adjust taste with salt, then spoon over one side of the rice to create a Yin Yang symbol with a slight curve in the center of the rice. Rinse out wok and return to heat with 1 teaspoon oil sprinkled with a little salt.
- Add onions and cook for about 1 minute, add sliced chicken and stir well.
- When the chicken is about half cooked, add sliced tomatoes and continue stirring until chicken is done.
- Add ketchup and mix thoroughly. Adjust flavor with a little sugar as desired to balance out the tartness of the tomatoes.
- When done, spoon over the other half of the rice, filling in the curve of the other half.