Recipe by Um Safia
This is a traditional vegetarian Greek dish. The main ingedients are of course, the huge beans & tomato.....try to find original yigandes (gigantes, gigandes) beans at a Greek or ethnic market for this dish, otherwise use the biggest lima beans you can find. Recipe by: Nancy Gaifyllia.She says "Restaurants serve this as a meze (in small portions), but because of the quantity in which it's fixed, unless you're planning a selection of mezether for a large gathering, it works better as a main dish" Time to make doesn't include soaking time. Posted for ZWT 4
Top Review by Lumberjackie
Delicious! I used canned butter beans and tomatoes, halved the oi,l and added 1 tsp. of honey and 1/2 tsp. of chili flakes. I also omitted the water, since the tomatoes seemed liquidy enough.
- 1 lb yigandes beans, soaked for 12 hours, drained (or big lima beans)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 lb of ripe tomatoes, peeled, finely chopped (or 16oz. of canned chopped plum tomatoes)
- 2 small vegetable bouillon cubes
- sea salt (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups water (1 1/2 cups if using canned tomatoes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the beans to a pot with enough cold water to cover well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook at a slow boil for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 325F (160C).
- Using a wooden spoon, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
- Add tomatoes (if using canned, add all liquid as well), bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, parsley, and water, and allow to boil gently for 10-30 minutes, until it begins to thicken.
- Place the beans in an oven-proof pan, add tomato mixture, stir and spread mixture out evenly.
- Bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until beans are soft. (Check the dish during cooking and if needed, add a small amount of boiling water.) The dish will look crispy on top.
- Remove from the oven, cover, and allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- When using after refrigerating, allow it to come to room temperature, or heat briefly in the microwave. This dish is not served hot.