Recipe by rockinred
Amazingly simple, I noticed this recipe in an issue of Edible Boston, a magazine that celebrates local foods and seasonal harvests for the Greater Boston area. The recipe is credited to Taxia Cullen.
- 5 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash & core the tomatoes.
- Place core side up on a cutting board and cut in half so that you have a core half and a bottom half. Pick out all of the seeds from the tomatoes.
- Using a box grater, grate the cut sides of the tomatoes until you end up with only the skins. Discard the skins.
- Preheat a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Pour in the olive oil and garlic. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add all the tomato pulp and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes to evaporate most of the tomato water.
- Season to taste with salt & freshly ground pepper.
- OPTIONAL: Let cool completely. Store in individual plastic containers & freeze excess.