Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
VERY quick, VERY easy, and VERY good :) You can substitute fresh basil and/or oregano for this recipe by sauteing them with the onion.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 0.5 (14 ounce) can water
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons basil
- Saute the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent. (if using fresh spices, saute these as well).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well with a spoon.
- Use at least half a diced tomato can of water. Use more if you want your sauce runny. Make it just a bit runnier then you need it to be.
- Let it simmer for around an hour.
December 11, 2010: Delicious! DS (17) has been asking for "regular" spaghetti for weeks (as in no beans, no seafood, no weird ingredients. LOL), so this was my treat for him last night. Everyone really enjoyed it. I loved how easy it was! I had fresh basil on hand, halved the recipe and added 1lb ground beef, which I cooked with the onion and garlic, drained & then continued with the recipe. We'll look forward to making this again & I think it would be great for OAMC. Next time I'll make a full recipe, divide in half, vacuum pack and freeze one for a quick weeknight meal down the road. Thanks for sharing, Shelly! Made & enjoyed for the Let's P-A-R-T-Y! event. :) ETA: I forgot to mention that I also added a few splashes of Malbec red wine to add some depth. It's an excellent recipe! :D