Recipe by Lusil
I made this soup yesterday with what I had on hand. The family loved it and declared it a keeper. I wanted to get this recipe posted, before I forgot what the heck I did and had to rely on memory (not a good thing!).
Top Review by acid_reflux_too
Thanks for the recipe Lusil. I found this one day when it was dropping a foot of snow on us. I made it for dinner that night and it was wonderful. It actually tops my mother's own potato soup recipe. SSShhhhhh....Don't tell her.
- 4 cups yukon gold potatoes, diced (I kept skin on)
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 -16 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (depending on your taste)
- 8 slices bacon, diced,fried and drained
- green onion, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, combine potatoes, onions, celery, broth, water and pepper (don't add salt, as the broth already has it) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are tender.
- Slightly mash some, but not all, of the potatoes with a fork.
- Combine 1/2& 1/2 and flour until well blended.
- Add to soup and simmer until thickend (add water if necessary if soup gets too thick).
- Add cheese and bacon, stirring until cheese is melted.
- If desired, serve with additional cheese, bacon and green onion sprinkled on top.
- I think a dollop of sour cream would be good too, but I didn't have any.