Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
It's good though!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion (minced)
- 2 1⁄2 cups mushrooms (sliced thin)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley (rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Heat butter in a pot.
- Add the onions and mushrooms. Saute 5 minutes.
- Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- To pot add flour. Whisk until smooth. Cook 2 minutes or until golden.
- Whisk in the milk and broth until smooth. Bring to a boil.
- Add barley. Reduce. Simmer 50 minutes.
- Stir in mushroom mix, sherry, worcestershire, salt and pepper. Re-heat.