Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
A sort-of amalgam of recipes found on here, plus ideas gleaned from the greater web. Fantastic with a shot of spiced rum in the mug.
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 2 oranges (each cut into 4 wedges)
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 cardamom pod
- 4 cinnamon sticks (6 inch, cassia is ok)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (or a few blades of mace)
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- Pour the cider into a crock pot, up to about 2 inches from the top.
- Drop in cardamom, nutmeg, allspice, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Chop the oranges each into 4 wedges longitudinally.
- Stick 3 cloves into the skin side of each orange wedge.
- Put the cleaved and cloven oranges into the crock pot.
- If there's room, add more cider to within an inch of the top.
- Stir with a ladle.
- Cover the crock pot with a folded towel and crank it up to "high.".
- Allow to boil for at least an hour, then remove the towel and set to "low.".
- (Optional) Serve with a shot of spiced rum in each mug.
This is a great cup of cider. Very comforting on a cold, dreary day. The only change I made was cutting amount of sugar in half, since our cider is sweet enough.