Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I realize there are lots of minestrone recipes out there. Here's another one. This one is meatless and can easily be made completely vegetarian by using vegetable stock. I like to splash in a bit of wine when I make this. Adapted from Cook It Light: Pasta, Rice and Beans.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch rounds (I'm lazy and use shredded carrots from a bag)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef stock or 1 (14 ounce) can chicken stock or 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable stock
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup small macaroni noodles (other other small pasta, I generally take a fistful of spaghetti and break it up)
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, cut into thin strips (I use frozen chopped spinach)
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh parsley (I use 1 T dried)
- parmesan cheese (for topping)
- Combine the onion, garlic and carrots in a large pot or soup kettle and cook, covered, over low heat till onion is soft and translucent, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and add a little water or stock if necessary to prevent scorching.
- Add tomatoes, stock, oregano, marjoram, basil and pepper and bring to a boil over med high heat.
- Add pasta and cook till tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and their liquid, the spinach and parsley and cook till heated through, about 5 more minutes.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese on the side to sprinkle on top, if desired.
Very tasty ! I came home from work and DH announced that he'd made this for dinner.. I lifted the lid of the pot and burst out laughing when I found that he'd made it with Bob The Builder pasta shapes! .. he said " well it said " other small pasta" in the recipe,.. and this IS " LOL, cooking can be a giggle some days :) The taste was good, strong and hearty, and once you have had a decent plateful you are quite full, so this is not a starter soup, more a true Main Course one. I liked this better than DH did, but he never was too much of a soup fan so I rated this as a soup lover should. Please see my rating system: 4 lovely stars for an easy and excellent winter night's evening meal. Thanks!
Thanks for a great soup recipe. We are in the deep freeze here in MO and this hit the spot. I did add another can of broth, as my soup was very thick. I also added some celery and I used frozen mustard greens instead of spinach. I used white cannelli beans. Thanks again!
Good soup! I realized at the last minute that I didn't have kidney beans and macaroni noodles so I substituted pinto beans and farfalle. This was a nice, simple and tasty soup. Thanks Pattikay.