Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
These cookies are wonderful (as are the other Linzer Cookies) but a little different. They have a touch of the South (pecans) and a lovely touch of spice. Make them in stars or hearts or any shape you like.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sweet butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour (all purpose, unbleached)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry jam, seedless
- Beat softened butter until fluffy.
- While beating, add confectioners' sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Mix together flour, nuts, spices and lemon rind.
- Gradually add to butter mixture, beeating until just blended.
- Wrap and chill dough for at least one hour.
- Divide chilled dough in half.
- Roll each half of dough to a 1/8 inch thickness.
- From one half of dough, cut three inch stars (or hearts).
- From second half, cut three inch stars, and then cut out centers of each star with a one and a half inch star cookie cutter.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes. Smnall stars may take only 12 minutes.
- Turn cookie sheets mid-way thru baking.
- Cool on wire racks.
- While still warm, sprinkle hollow stars with confectioners' sugar.
- Spread solid stars with jam and top with hollow stars.
- Save cut-outs (tiny stars) for cook's treat or to decorate serving plate.