Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is quick and easy! You can make your own chili spice mixture by putting together all the spices in this, and you can store this for up to 6 months in a airtight storage container. ;)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper
- 1⁄2 instant minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- Brown and drain beef.
- Mix in a bowl all the dry ingredients.
- Then add them and the tomatoes and beans into a pot.
- Heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Given how quickly this one comes together, it has a pretty darn good flavor. I do agree that you will want to kick up the spice a bit (we did spices x 2). We also added real onion and garlic cooking it with the meat (and a bit more than called for in the recipe). But this one comes together fast, has a decent flavor--perfect for a fall or winter weeknight.
This recipe definitely lacks kick. I would suggest at least doubling the seasonings & adding onion to this recipe. It has a nice taste - just needs more kick!
This was perfect. It had just enough bite for my husband. I used tomato sauce instead of the fresh(husband doesn't like whole maters) and fresh chopped sweet onions instead of the minced. I topped it off with shredded cheddar and crumbled cornbread. It tasted fantastic and I did it all in one pot.