Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Despite a million broccoli casserole recipes on this site, I couldn't find one that fit my criteria so I ended up making one up. Turned out amazing (so says hubby) and there weren't any leftovers despite there being only 2-1/2 of us (mom, dad, and toddler).
- 10 ounces fresh broccoli florets
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (or substitute your favourite cream soup)
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese (or your favourite)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup instant rice
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- grated cheese, for topping (optional)
- VERY slightly steam broccoli (until still fairly crisp, unless you like mushy veggies in which case cook until tender).
- Place in greased casserole dish.
- Mix rest of ingredients, except topping, and pour over broccoli.
- Stir gently until well mixed.
- Top with additional cheese, if desired.
- Bake in 350 F oven for 30-35 minutes.
Great recipe enjoyed by all, except the 14 month old...she doesn't count! I used sharp cheddar cheese. I like my casserole to have more rice in it...I think I'll double the rice and milk next time. If you are not a big rice fan, this casserole is for you!
Loved it! the whole family did! I think the firmer broccoli and real cheddar (not the soup or canned type) made all the difference. It's like what they serve at those "fancy" home cooking type restaurants.