Absolutely delicious meatloaf and sauce! Those who claim they don't believe there can be such a thing as a great meatloaf will love this. Based on a meatloaf given to me by a dear friend, Virginia Strehl, Memphis, and Leesburg, Fla. Nita Holleman, 2000
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (ground shoulder roast is good)
- 1 slice bread (broken or chopped finely)
- 1 egg
- 1 small vidalia onions or 1 small type sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup whole milk or 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 -4 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed firm (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- Meatloaf: Combine meat loaf ingredients and place into a loaf baking dish.
- Smooth out top.
- Sauce: Combine sauce ingredients and pour on top and sides of meatloaf.
- Bake at 350°F about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until done.
- *The addition of 1 or 2 teaspoons of Kitchen Bouquet® makes this recipe very good.
- **Recipe should be"plump" from the addition of the milk or Half & Half.
- It should NOT be runny.
- ***A second batch of sauce served hot is good to serve with the meatloaf.
- Nita's Note: I note that some of you are using game meat such as deer -- Deer is a very DRY meat. It is wise to HAVE some fat added to the deer -- especially to ground deer. Maybe 25 % fat, ( I recommend 1 lb of ground venison, and 1/2 lb of deer sausage for fat content), otherwise your results will be poor. I don't know about some of the other game meat some are using. Please consult and expert. The recipe is delicious as it stands! Enjoy! Nita Holleman.