Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Lean and Luscious and Meatless, this cake gets its wonderful, moist texture from maple syrup, applesauce, and apple juice. You have to try this one to believe how good it is!
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup oat bran (3 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2⁄3 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (or carob chips)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (1/2 ounce)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly oil an 8-inch square baking pan or spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oat bran, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda; mix well.
- In another bowl, combine remaining cake ingredients.
- Beat with a fork or wire whisk until blended.
- Add to dry mixture, mixing until all ingredients are moistened.
- Place in prepared pan.
- Sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips evenly over cake, pressing them lightly into the cake.
- Bake 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into squares to serve.
Surprisingly tasty! We ran out of maple syrup, so we subbed in some honey and brown sugar to make up the difference. We also used pear juice instead of apple juice because we had it on hand. It came out very light and fluffy! Next time we'll mix in some chocolate chips to add that little extra chocolate boost. Thanks!
Very nice low fat chocolate snack cake. I used wheat germ as I have a really hard time finding oat bran here, and ww flour mixed with white. I left off the nuts as I just didn't feel like putting any on top! This went in the oven quickly and will be a nice lunchbox addition.