Um Safia's Note:
Again, this is another recipe I found from a Korean restaurant owner. Apparently this dish was VERY popular there! Serve as an appetiser, side dish or traditional as part of a Ban Chan feast!...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 160 ounces fresh lotus root (approx. 160z, whole or sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon apple juice
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1Preparing the Lotus: If using whole root– Wash and peel the root.
- 2If using Whole– After boiling and cooling, carefully cut the root (root may be tough) into approximately 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices.
- 3Once you have prepared your lotus root, heat water to boiling, add lotus root, vinegar and apple juice, and boil for 20 minutes.
- 4Prepare the stir fry sauce: In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, apple juice, and water. Mix until the brown sugar is mostly dissolved. Add the honey and mix well.
- 5Cooking the finished dish: Heat the sesame oil in a round bottomed stir fry skillet over high heat. Add the lotus root and stir fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- 6Reduce heat to medium, add the stir fry sauce, and stir continuously until there is almost no liquid remaining in the skillet.
- 7Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- 8Optionally, you may garnish each serving with a light sprinkling of chopped green onion and toasted sesame seed.
- 9Serve as a snack or as one dish in a traditional Korean Ban chan array.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yeongeun-Jeonggwa - Korean Candied Lotus Root.
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 101.8
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 761.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh lotus root