Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Florence Lin's Chinese Vegetarian Cookbook.
- 6 pieces fresh firm tofu, see note
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shaohsing rice wine or 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon msg
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- The amount of Tofu needed for this recipe is
- Six 3 X 3 X 1/3 inch squares fresh firm tofu. It should be cotton tofu. It may benefit from freezing for this but that is my suggestion and not Lin's.
- cut each square in half then slice each half laterally into 2 pieces each 3 X 1 1/2 X 1/6 inch. Sprinkle salt over slices and let stand one minute.
- Drain off excess liquid about 3 to 4 tbsp into a soup plate. Add wine and MSG to drained liquid and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat skillet very hot. Add 1 tbsp oil and pan fry curd, 8 pieces at a time, on both sides until you have a light golden crust. To prevent sticking you must keep the pan hot. The could should NOT be turned over until the crust has formed.
- Remove from pan and immediately drop into wine mix. Let stand 1 minute. Transfer to serving dish.
- Repeat with remaining curd, adding oil as needed. Pour remaining wine mix over dish.
- Serve cold.
- Can be refrigerated several days.
- Serves 4 without other dishes Serves 8 with other dishes.