Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tomatoes stuffed with lamb and rice. Posted for ZWT II '06
- 6 beefsteak tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper, fresh ground is best
- 1⁄2 cup kasseri cheese, grated
- 1 cup water, for pan
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the top off of the tomatoes and clean out all of the pulp, leaving a 1/2-inch thick skin. Reserve the pulp.
- In a medium saute pan, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until the onions are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, reserved tomato pulp, and rice, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the lamb, pine nuts, parsley, dill, salt, and pepper.
- Stir to combine and continue cooking until lamb is browned.
- Fill the tomatoes with the lamb mixture, sprinkle the tops with cheese, and drizzle with the remaining 4 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Place in a 9-by 13-inch baking dish. Pour water in the bottom of the dish and bake for 1 hour.
- Serve warm.