Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is for the ever popular stuffed vegetable, but this time there is NO meat involved! This particular recipe comes from Kaliroi Krasanaki & also goes by the name Yemista tis Kalliroi! (Kalliroi's Stuffed Vegetables). This recipe is simple & delicious. Tome to make doesn't include resting time. Posted for ZWT 4.
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 5 medium zucchini small zucchini
- 1 small zucchini
- 3 medium eggplants
- 1 large potato
- 5 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 3⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- Wash all vegetables well, and peel the potato. Take a large bowl & put on the side to collect the flesh from the veggies.
- Cut a cap off the top of tomatoes. Using a teaspoon, scoop out tomato pulp and put in a bowl. Set tomatoes and caps aside.
- Bell peppers: Cut a cap off the top of the peppers, scoop out seeds, and rinse well. Set peppers and caps aside.
- Potato: cut a thick slice off the potato lengthwise. Scoop out interior of potato and put in the bowl with the other vegetables, leaving a 1/8 inch shell. Set potato and top aside.
- Eggplants: cut off the top with stem. Using a spoon, scoop out eggplant pulp and add to bowl with other vegetables. Set eggplants and tops aside.
- Zucchini: trim tops of the 5 large zucchini, and using a spoon handle, scoop out zucchini pulp and add to bowl. Set zucchini and tops aside. Cut the small zucchini into 8 slices and set aside.
- Using a vegetable grater (or the large grate on a cheese grater), grate all the pulp that was scooped out from the vegetables, as well as the tops of the zucchini and eggplant, and place in a large bowl.
- Wash the rice, and add to the bowl. Add grated onion, parsley, salt, pepper, and all but 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well. The stuffing mix will be soupy.
- Using a teaspoon, fill the vegetables to within 1/2 inch of the top. The rice will expand when cooked so take care not to overfill. Place caps on top, using the zucchini slices for the eggplant and zucchini.
- Place the vegetables in a 14 x 11 inch (or equivalent) baking or roasting pan. The tomatoes should be placed upright, and the other vegetables should be placed on their sides. They should fit snugly in the pan.
- There will be a little oil left in the bottom of the bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of water and pour the mixture into the pan with the vegetables. Drizzle the vegetables with the remaining olive oil (2 tablespoons).
- Place vegetables on the second-lowest position (below the middle) in a cold oven and heat to 480F (250C). When the liquid starts to boil (about 10-15 minutes), reduce heat to 355F (180C) and cook for one hour.
- Allow the vegetables to sit for 20 minutes before serving. Stuffed vegetables are served warm or at room temperature and are excellent the second day.
Perhaps I did something wrong when I made this, but the vegetables turned out rather chewy and bland, and the rice was undercooked, even though I cooked it for an extra half hour.