1/5 Photos of Yemista (Greek Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers)
2 hrs 45 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Maybe my favourite Greek dish. Yes, my favourite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 medium perfectly-ripe yummy tomatoes
- 5 medium green peppers
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 13 tablespoons rice (really just a 'heaping' tablespoon per vegetable to be stuffed)
- 1 large onion, chopped fine (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced very fine
- 1/4 cup fresh spearmint, minced (1 1/2 tblsps dried, crumbled)
- 1/2 cup parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup hard mizithra cheese or 1/2 cup kefalograviera cheese or 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, cut into tiny cubes
- 1/2 cup sultana raisin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1Cut off tops of tomatoes (retain tops) and carefully scoop out flesh (retain this as well).
- 2Cut off tops of peppers (retain tops) and remove seeds and membrane.
- 3Place tomatoes and peppers in a pan large enough to hold them comfortably and give each veg a tiny dash of sugar with the tips of your fingertips (I really think this is important!).
- 4Take tomato flesh and process it until pureed.
- 5Add olive oil, rice, onion, garlic, mint, parsley, nuts, cheese, sultanas, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper (or season to taste).
- 6Stuff the vegetables evenly with this mixture.
- 7Replace tops of tomatoes and peppers.
- 8Combine 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup olive oil with a scant tablespoonful of tomato paste and a little salt and pepper and pour this around the veg.
- 9Bake in a preheated 375F oven (180C) for approx 1 3/4 hours (vegetables should pierce easily and be slightly blackened in parts).
- 10Turn off oven and leave in for another hour to'mellow' before serving.
- 11This is best served slightly warm or at room temperature.
- 12It is wonderful eaten along with little bites of feta cheese and a cool glass of white or rose.
- 13It will also have yummy juices begging to be mopped up with bits of crusty bread.
- 14In my version, I also take 3-4 medium-sized potatoes, cut them into big wedges, toss in a little olive oil with salt and pepper to taste, and'plant' in the spaces amidst the vegetables.
- 15That way you can have a couple of wedges of potato too.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yemista (Greek Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers)
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.0
- Calories from Fat 360
- Total Fat 40.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 319.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: