My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup niter kebbeh
- 1 teaspoon berbere
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika, sweet hungarian
- 2 cups tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup water
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- black pepper, fresh,to tst
- 3 loaves injera bread
- plain yogurt or cottage cheese
- 1Rinse and cook the lentils.
- 2Meanwhile saute the onions and garlic in the niter kebbeh, until the onions are just translucent.
- 3Add the berbere, cumin, and paprika and saute for a few minutes more, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- 4Mix in the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- 5Add 1 cup of vegetable stock or water and continue simmering.
- 6When the lentils are cooked, drain them and mix them into the saute.
- 7Add the green peas and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 8Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- 9To serve Yemiser W'et, spread layers of injera on individual plates.
- 10Place some yogurt or cottage cheese alongside a serving of w'et on the injera and pass more injera at the table.
- 11To eat, tear off pieces of injera, fold it around bits of stew, and, yes, eat it with your fingers.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yemiser W'et (spicy lentil stew)
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.1
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 135.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: