Top Review by Elmotoo
I made this for NA*ME Recipe of the Week. OOOOOH YUM!! I made 1 1/2 batch the first time & it was inhaled & we craved more. So the following week, I made a triple batch & that satisfied us w/a bit leftover. Understand the 'serving size' was about 2c. ;) I used the recommended Niter Kebbeh recipe with huge success. It really doesn't get any easier & OMG it is DELICIOUS!!! I found 20 minutes to be a better cooking time. Thanks, CG!!!
- 1⁄2 lb dried yellow lentils
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons niter kebbeh, to taste (read *INTRO)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, minced (decrease amount for less spicy version)
- diced white onions or red onion
- fresh cilantro leaves
- lemon wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Lentils: Rinse the lentils under running water in a strainer. Place the lentils into a pot of boiling water enough to cover by 2".
- Simmer the lentils for 30 minutes until soft but al dente. Do not overcook! Drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Combine the red wine vinegar, niter kebbeh, salt, and black pepper in a deep bowl. Mix well. Add the lentils and jalapenos; toss gently.
- Transfer to a platter and garnish with diced onion, cilantro leaves and a few lemon wedges.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to marinate.