Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a version of the Yemeni spice paste called Zhoug, from Aliza Green.
- 1 lb jalapenos or 1 lb serrano chili
- 1 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Trim, seed, and coarsely chop 1 pound jalapeño or serrano chiles. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the chiles with 1 cup each chopped Italian parsley and cilantroincluding the tender stems, 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Process to form a rough,chunky paste. Pour in 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and process again briefly. Pack into a glass jar, cover the top with olive oil, and store in the refrigerator up to 3 months.