Recipe by AniSarit
Saw my very good Yemenite friend do this, and took it to the next level. This is serious comfort food and perfect for a cold winter day or night. With a piece of crusty French or sourdough bread, it's a meal.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, seared then cubed
- canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 -3 tablespoons hawaij
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a large soup pot with water and add preseared and cubed beef, and cook until slightly tender (about 45min). Remove all beef-froth that comes to the top. Start the heat high, but when it comes to a boil, reduce to medium-low.
- In a skillet, sautee the onions.
- When translucent, add the carrots and celery, and continue sauteeing for another 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery mixture (with whatever little oil you still have in the skillet), and add to soup pot that has the beef cooking.
- Add cubed tomatoes, potatoes, and hawaij.
- Simmer for 30minutes more, partially covered, until all ingredients are soft.
- Enjoy in a big bowl with warm fresh crusty bread.