Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This flavorful rice is a good accompaniment to any Middle Eastern meal.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Heat oil and onion on medium heat until onion is transparent.
- Stir in garlic and spices for 1 minute to coat the onion.
- Add the uncooked rice and stir for 3 minutes until coated with spices.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer covered for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove, let stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the cilantro.
Nice change. I just used water, cold pressed olive oil to be healthy, freshly ground black pepper to taste, sea salt, Indian white basmati rice, plus the rest of the ingredients. I may make this again preferably with home-made chicken stock.
5 stars for being different and delicious. I used ck stock. I wish I had cilantro...next time.
Very good rice! Thanks so much for sharing!