1/1 Photo of Yemenite Eggplant (Aubergine) Casserole
1 hr 30 mins
They say in the Middle East that you can't get married until you know 101 ways to cook eggplant. I was recently married, and I'm counting this as one of my ways. I found this recipe online and loved the unique way of preparing the eggplant... hope you do too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice the eggplant in thin discs, sprinkle evenly with salt, and place in layers in a colander over the sink.
- 2Place a weighted bowl directly on top of the eggplant and let drain for 30 minutes.
- 3Remove the weight, turn over the eggplant, and let drain another 30 minutes.
- 4While the eggplant is draining, heat oil, onion and garlic and cook on medium heat until onion turns transparent and garlic is browned.
- 5Add the spices and stir to coat the onion.
- 6Add the tomatoes and cook until it boils.
- 7Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Preheat oven to 350.
- 10Pat eggplant dry with paper towels.
- 11In a frying pan, fry eggplant in a layer of oil 2 minutes per side.
- 12In a casserole, arrange layers of eggplant and tomato sauce, ending with sauce.
- 13Bake uncovered in the oven for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yemenite Eggplant (Aubergine) Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 89.3
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 32.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 2.6 g