They say in the Middle East that you can't get married until you know 101 ways to cook eggplant. I was recently married, and I'm counting this as one of my ways. I found this recipe online and loved the unique way of preparing the eggplant... hope you do too!
- Slice the eggplant in thin discs, sprinkle evenly with salt, and place in layers in a colander over the sink.
- Place a weighted bowl directly on top of the eggplant and let drain for 30 minutes.
- Remove the weight, turn over the eggplant, and let drain another 30 minutes.
- While the eggplant is draining, heat oil, onion and garlic and cook on medium heat until onion turns transparent and garlic is browned.
- Add the spices and stir to coat the onion.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until it boils.
- Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pat eggplant dry with paper towels.
- In a frying pan, fry eggplant in a layer of oil 2 minutes per side.
- In a casserole, arrange layers of eggplant and tomato sauce, ending with sauce.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 30 minutes.