Recipe by Yemenia
This kidney bean dish is typically eaten for breakfast with homemade bread, pita or toast. But I love it with crunchy French bread. You can crumble feta cheese or chopped onions over the dish. Then break a piece of the bread, scoop and eat. Add more or less jalapeno to make this as spicy as you like. You can add chopped green peppers and saute with the other veggies for a more ethnic flavor. You can also use 1/2 can white beans and 1/2 red beans for a more colorful dish.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
This was very good! I mashed the beans, and we had it on gluten free French bread along with a nice salad. Delicious way to have beans. Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for A Culinary Tour of YEMEN! / N*A*M*E forum
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapenos (or cayenne) or 1 any hot pepper, chopped (or cayenne)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- salt (be careful because the beans and tomato paste may be salted already)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- water (for cooking)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion ,tomatoes ,garlic ,and jalapeno in 2 tbsp oil or ghee until onion is transparent and tomatoes are softened.
- Add tomato paste and stir. Add a few tbsp water and stir again being careful not to let it burn. Turn heat to low and let it simmer for a minute.
- Pour in kidney beans along with 1 cup of water and bring to a simmer.
- Add salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Simmer for 10 minutes on low.
- Add cilantro and cook until the dish thickens about another 5-10 minutes The sauce should coat the back of the spoon.
- You can crush the beans with a potato masher after step 5 if you don't like them whole. I puree in the blender before adding to the saucepan for my children because they don't like it chunky.