This kidney bean dish is typically eaten for breakfast with homemade bread, pita or toast. But I love it with crunchy French bread. You can crumble feta cheese or chopped onions over the dish. Then break a piece of the bread, scoop and eat. Add more or less jalapeno to make this as spicy as you like. You can add chopped green peppers and saute with the other veggies for a more ethnic flavor. You can also use 1/2 can white beans and 1/2 red beans for a more colorful dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 small tomato, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapenos (or cayenne) or 1 any hot pepper, chopped (or cayenne)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- salt (be careful because the beans and tomato paste may be salted already)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- water (for cooking)
- 1Saute onion ,tomatoes ,garlic ,and jalapeno in 2 tbsp oil or ghee until onion is transparent and tomatoes are softened.
- 2Add tomato paste and stir. Add a few tbsp water and stir again being careful not to let it burn. Turn heat to low and let it simmer for a minute.
- 3Pour in kidney beans along with 1 cup of water and bring to a simmer.
- 4Add salt, pepper, and cumin.
- 5Simmer for 10 minutes on low.
- 6Add cilantro and cook until the dish thickens about another 5-10 minutes The sauce should coat the back of the spoon.
- 7You can crush the beans with a potato masher after step 5 if you don't like them whole. I puree in the blender before adding to the saucepan for my children because they don't like it chunky.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yemen Style Kidney Beans and Toast Aka Fasoolia or Fool
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.8
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 67.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 9.9 g