Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
The recipe originally came from the April, 1994 New York Times Magazine with the recommendation to garnish with lemon curd and raspberries. Very tasty alone or with the addition of some whipped cream and strawberries. Courtesy of Yellowstone Suites B&B Gardiner, Montana.
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 8 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Spray a tube pan with cooking spray.
- Coat the bottom and sides of the pan with ground almonds; set aside.
- In a large grease free bowl beat the egg whites with an electric beater till foamy. Add the salt and the cream of tartar.
- Beat on high speed until the egg whites form into soft peaks; add almond extract.
- Gradually add the sugar.
- Beat to stiff peaks.
- Gently and slowly fold in the flour.
- Spoon the batter into the tube pan. Sprinkle the top of the batter with the sliced almonds and place immediately in the preheated oven.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Turn out of pan onto cooling rack.