Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Could there be a more delightful dish to usher in the beginning of the warm weather season than a delicious, crispy salad? As an added bonus, this salad is as pretty as a picture and tastes as good as it looks! We have used both the Yellowfin tuna (also known as Ahi tuna) marinated in lemon dill and olive oil, and the one with roasted garlic in olive oil. Both are equally delicious. My husband and I have a newsletter publishing company and work from home. I came up with this recipe because I needed something crunchy and filling for a mid-day meal. And one that wasn't calorie laden.
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can yellowfin tuna fillets, drained and separated
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup apple, e.g. such as Red Delicious, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup red bell pepper, chopped (reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish)
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
- 3 cups lettuce leaves
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- fresh ground pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, and
- balsamic vinegar, to taste
- Toss together tuna, celery, walnuts, red onion, apple and red bell pepper until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in mayonnaise until ingredients are completed coated.
- Tear lettuce/spinach leaves into bite sized pieces and divide equally among 4 salad bowls.
- Place scoops of tuna mixture in center of lettuce/spinach leaves.
- Arrange sliced eggs and tomatoes around edge of tuna mixture. Garnish with reserved bell pepper. Season with fresh ground pepper, to taste.
- Serve with crackers or toasted bread rounds.
- Optional: For an added boost of flavor, drizzle salad with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.