Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I originally had this wonderful souffle at a wedding luncheon 36 years ago and have been making it ever since.
- 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 box Ritz cracker, crumbled
- Combine first four ingredients and simmer with water to cover for 20 minutes.
- Drain and mash.
- Add flour, eggs, milk, cheese and 3T butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees in a buttered 1 1/2 quart cassserole for 30 minutes.
- Melt remaining 3T butter and mix with cracker crumbs.
- Top the casserole with the cracker crumb mixture and bake 10 more minutes.
The family thought that the taste of the crackers was overpowering in this recipe. For the kids, this was a good thing, the adults didn't care for it. Also - might suggest that some salt and pepper wouldn't hurt.
I made this the other night and I added two tablespoons of fresh rosemary. I agree with the other reviews that the topping was a little too much, but the flavor of the souffle was magnificent. I am making it again tonight sans topping.
Delicious! I made the recipe as directed using only 1 cup of cracker crumbs mixed with the butter. I will be making this again. DH loves this recipe.