Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
We always have yellow squash and zucchini available- so like to use it when we can. I was trying to make the casserole a little lighter than those made with cream of... soup. Hope you like it!!
- 3 yellow squash
- 3 zucchini
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup herbed croutons
- 1 cup shredded casserole cheese
- slice squash and zucchini and put in boiling water.
- do not let it get too soft- it looks and tastes better if the squash retains it's shape.
- mix melted butter and onion and pepper.
- mix in egg.
- toss with croutons and cheese.
- drain squash and zucchini well.
- toss well with crouton mixture.
- put in greased baking dish.
- bake 350 for 30 minutes- may broil at the end if not browned a little on top.
Yummy and easy. I made a few slight changes with what I had on hand. I used 1/4 c. finely chopped onion, added a little of my fresh rosemary and I didn't have any herbed croutons so I used a cup of herbed bread crumbs for the cheese mixture. I also sprinkled some cherry tomotoes on top while it bake and added just a little more shredded cheese. It turned out great!!
I am not a vegetable lover, but this recipe is tremendous! Yes, the cheese croutons help, but even the squash really comes to life in taste. Great to try.