Recipe by dicentra
This is from the April 2007 issue of Vegetarian Times. Their photo is so pretty! They used baby pattypan squash.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Fantastic! I really loved this dish, perfect for summer! Used sliced pattypan squash from my local farmer, which I steamed in the microwave, and doubled both the fresh basil and toasted pecans. Used good olive oil and added a little Kosher salt. Wonderful at room temperature. Vegetarian Times is one of my old favorites, their recipes are always good. Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 lbs baby pattypan squash or 2 lbs crookneck yellow squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast pecans in dry skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown and fragrant, shaking pan often. Set aside to cool.
- Fill large pot with 1 inch water. Set steamer basket in pot, cover, and bring water to a boil. Place squash in basket.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and steam 4 to 6 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Transfer squash to large bowl.
- Toss with olive oil, basil and pecans. Serve hot, or at room temperature.