Recipe by DogAndCatDoc
This is tasty enough that even my husband likes it...and if you knew him, you would know how remarkable of a statement that is! You can modify this quite a bit by adding onions, or additional toppings like olives or pepperoni slices depending on your tastes. You can also vary the cheeses by adding in feta or mozzarella. Prep time is made very quick with a Cuisinart or other food processor...easy meal to throw together at the last second.
- 4 medium yellow squash, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 small eggplant, peeled, sliced thin (optional)
- 1 quart spaghetti sauce (I like it with onion in it)
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs (wheat or plain or Italian)
- 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute, substitute divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided (or mixture of your favorite cheeses)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease 9x13-inch pan with non-stick spray.
- Dump half of your squash and eggplant slices into the bottom of the pan.
- Pour half of the spaghetti sauce over the veggies.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of bread crumbs over sauce.
- Trickle 1/4 cup of egg substitute over bread crumbs.
- Top with cheddar cheese (or cheeses of your choice).
- Repeat layers.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until veggies are tender and cheese is golden on top.
- Let sit 10 minutes, serve and enjoy.