Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A warm, comforting soup with the flavours of the southwest.
- 3 -4 lbs acorn squash, cut in half and baked
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (you can also use butter if preferred)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- Scoop the baked squash from the skins; place half of the squash in a 5-cup blender container or food processor bowl.
- Cover; blend at high speed until pureed.
- Spoon into a medium bowl; set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining squash. You should have 3 to 4 cups pureed squash.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil until sizzling; add the onion and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft (5 to 7 minutes).
- Stir in the flour; continue cooking, stirring constantly, 4 minutes.
- With a wire whisk, stir in the milk and chicken broth.
- Stir in the pureed squash, maple syrup, salt and red pepper.
- Gradually whisk in the whipping cream, cilantro, basil and oregano.
- Reduce the heat to low; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.