Recipe by riffraff
I have made this recipe a thousand times and we just love it. It came up for adoption and I jumped on it. Goes great with just about any main dish.
Top Review by Lee Calhoun
everyone will love these as an alternative to the someimes dry hush-puppies. If you'd like to have a little more zing to your squash puffs - substitute fish fry instead of the cornmeal...this gives it a little more seasoning with some spice to it.
- 1 cup yellow squash, cooked and mashed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, grated
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the cooked squash and egg, stirring well.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt, stir well.
- Add squash mixture and onion; stir until blended.
- Drop squash mixture by level tablespoonful into hot oil.
- Cook until golden brown, turning once. Drain well on paper towels.