Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have made this recipe a thousand times and we just love it. It came up for adoption and I jumped on it. Goes great with just about any main dish.
- 1 cup yellow squash, cooked and mashed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, grated
- vegetable oil
- Combine the cooked squash and egg, stirring well.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt, stir well.
- Add squash mixture and onion; stir until blended.
- Drop squash mixture by level tablespoonful into hot oil.
- Cook until golden brown, turning once. Drain well on paper towels.
everyone will love these as an alternative to the someimes dry hush-puppies. If you'd like to have a little more zing to your squash puffs - substitute fish fry instead of the cornmeal...this gives it a little more seasoning with some spice to it.
yummy! A good way to hide veggies from kids since they look and taste like hushpuppies! We loved them
These are delicious! I made them as written but plan on try some of the suggestions of the other reviewers, especially adding southwestern flavors and sweet corn to the batter. This was an excellent recipe to help me use up the bumper crop of yellow squash coming out of my garden. Thanks Riffraff :)
***8/26/11****Adding stars and also want to comment that these reheat really well, SO, since we're getting so sick and tired of squash (been eating it for 3 weeks now), I'm going to make a huge batch of these and freeze them to eat during the winter, I'm sure we'll love squash again in January!!