I found this recipe in a newspaper article many years ago. It's really delicious.The original recipe called for 1 cup melted butter. I use 1/2 cup butter & 1/2 cup applesauce.
- Wash squash, trim ends, and cut into 1-inch slices.
- Cook in a small amount of water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain well and mash.
- Measure 2 cups of the cooked squash, combine with eggs, butter, and applesauce, and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in center of mixture.
- Add squash to dry ingredients, stirring only until moist.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.