Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Southern Living; family favorite.
Top Review by FruitLoop
This was a total comfort food experience. The blend of flavors--onion, peppers, and squash--was awesome. Add the soft texture and taste of the cornbread and you have a truly great side dish or main dish. Yum Yum!! Thanks Nurse Di. Delightful!
- 2 (6 ounce) packages Mexican cornbread mix
- 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake cornbread according to package directions; cool on a wire rack.
- Crumble and set aside.
- Combine squash and water in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until squash is tender; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in alarge heavy skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and next 3 ingredients, and cook, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Combine cornbread, squash, onion mixture, soup, and remaining ingredients; spoon into a lightly greased 11x7 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.