This is my modification of Yellow Squash Muffins (which I love). Since the muffins taste so much like cornbread, I decided to make a version that actually have corn meal. I also use whole wheat flour and flaxseed meal to make them even healthier.
- Wash squash and trim ends. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds (even if they are really small and immature. Chop the squash into chunks.
- Cook in a small amount of water in the microwave (covered) for 10-15 minutes or until the squash is mushy.
- Drain the water and use a food chopper to mash the squash to a pulp. Measure 2 cups.
- Combine the squash with eggs, butter, and applesauce, and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in center of mixture.
- Add squash to dry ingredients, stirring only until moist.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375Â°F for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.