Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my modification of Yellow Squash Muffins (which I love). Since the muffins taste so much like cornbread, I decided to make a version that actually have corn meal. I also use whole wheat flour and flaxseed meal to make them even healthier.
- Wash squash and trim ends. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds (even if they are really small and immature. Chop the squash into chunks.
- Cook in a small amount of water in the microwave (covered) for 10-15 minutes or until the squash is mushy.
- Drain the water and use a food chopper to mash the squash to a pulp. Measure 2 cups.
- Combine the squash with eggs, butter, and applesauce, and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in center of mixture.
- Add squash to dry ingredients, stirring only until moist.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375Â°F for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
These are way different for cornbread muffins! Loved them! Will definitely make these again! Thanks, CongoGirl! Made for PAC Fall 2009.